About Sumner County
Sumner County presents endless opportunities for businesses and individuals looking to make their home in middle Tennessee. A short freeway hop from downtown Nashville, Sumner County has easy access to three major Interstate highways … which means many metro areas in the eastern and mid-western U.S. are within a day’s drive. The county’s entire 63-mile southern border meanders along Old Hickory Lake, which gives Sumner County a unique claim within the Nashville area to a major navigable waterway with lakeside living and unlimited water recreation. Other important reasons why cities and towns within Sumner County are thriving include:
- Population Growth – A Tennessee top 7 county for both total population and population growth rate.
- Cost of Living Index – Among the nation’s most attractive rates at 85.8, compared to the U.S. average of 100.
- Healthy Living – Tennessee's 2nd healthiest county (according to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation in collaboration with the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute).
- Educational Attainment and Availability – Public school students’ test scores and graduation rates outperform Tennessee averages. There are 24 four-year and 7 two-year higher education institutions in middle Tennessee, including Sumner County’s own Volunteer State Community College with over 12,000 students.
- Construction Activity – The number of building permits per 10,000 residents since 2005 has been almost twice that of Tennessee.
Sumner County's business community is anchored by large manufacturing and distribution operations, an outstanding mix of professional service companies and a rapidly expanding retail sector. Entrepreneurs in music, arts, tourism, real estate, technology and other specialties bring an adventurous and individual spirit to the community. Varied cultural offerings such as arts festivals, community theatre and music events fill the calendar throughout the year. Sumner County is part of Greater Nashville – one of the entertainment capitals of the world – which provides an enviable array of world-class music, professional sports, cultural venues and nightlife.